Saturday 26 November 2011

Coast life

We left Sydney with Pauliina on Wednesday evening and started our journey up to the east coast. We bought bus tickets to go from Sydney to Brisbane and they are "hop on, hop off" tickets which means that we can get off the bus in some places between Sydney and Brisbane as many times as we want to. We chose the night bus because that meant we didn't have to get a hostel room for that night. So we travelled on bus all night and it wasn't any short journey: it took 14 hours to go from Sydney to Byron Bay where we are right now! We thought it's going to be very painful to sit on bus for 14 hours, I had never done that before. But to my surprise it went very fast! I still can't believe we spent the whole 14 hours sitting on bus because it felt a lot shorter. I tried to sleep but couldn't really, and it was dark outside so we couldn't see any landscapes either. But still the journey was alright. We stopped somewhere a couple of times in the middle of the night.

We arrived in Byron Bay on thursday morning and I felt very weird and too tired because I hadn't slept at all during that night. Byron Bay is a nice little seaside town on the coast and it has many beautiful beaches and forests and nature and it's  full of backpackers because many young people want to come here to party and surf and go to the beach etc.
Yesterday we went for a long long walk to the lighthouse which is quite a famous thing here. Next to the lighthouse is the most easterly point of Australia. It was cloudy in the morning and it had been raining the whole Wednesday so I didn't think the sun would be shining at all yesterday. But I was wrong: the sun came out and it turned out to be a very warm and sunny day. And I didn't take any suncream with me! We walked all day in the sunshine so it's not hard to guess what happened: yes I got bad sunburn. My arms and chest are bright red and it hurts a little bit, and I don't want to look red because everyone else here is well tanned and brown!
We saw very beautiful and amazing places and landscapes as we walked on the roads that are very high and we saw some beautiful beaches from there. We walked up to the lighthouse and then all the way down to the beaches.
After our walk I noticed that I've burnt myself quite bad. The sun is extremely dangerous here because the UV rays are stronger than in Europe.
In the evening we went for a dinner in the bar at our hostel again and later we bought some wine and drank it at the hostel and then went to a couple of bars.
We were planning to stay in Byron Bay for 3 nights but it seems like we are staying one more night, because we "forgot" to reserve our seats for the bus for tomorrow. I guess it's alright to stay here because this is quite a beautiful place and we have time to see other places a bit later... I'm not sure where we are stopping after this place but maybe we should do some planning before we leave Byron Bay on Monday...
I'd like to try surfing somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment