Sunday 13 November 2011

Down Under

I left Hong Kong yesterday and my flight to Sydney took off at 21.25 so I still had the whole day to explore some places in Hong Kong. I stayed near the area where my hostel is because I didn't want to go anywhere using the metro. It always gets too busy in the evening and then it's just too difficult and annoying to try to find the way back to the hostel to get my bag before going to the airport.
I'm glad I walked around that area because I found some family festival where everything had been made around Alice in Wonderland theme. There were some dance performances and Alice in Wonderland statues and art things. Then I kept on walking somewhere else and found some Chinese temples. They were small but traditional and it was nice to go inside them and take a few pictures. Of course I asked if I can take pictures there, just in case " I'd scare some Chinese spirits away" by taking photos... haha.
I have noticed that I don't enjoy very big cities so much anymore, just because it gets way too busy and there are people absolutely everywhere and at some times during the day it's just terrible to try to walk in the centres because you can't actually walk anywhere and people are pushing you from every direction. Cities are nice, but not when they're crowded.
So my flight to Sydney took about 9 hours and it went very fast. You couldn't imagine that 9 hours on the plane would go fast... But it did, because I watched films and tv again. I got very surprised when I noticed that there was a Finnish film in the film selection! I didn't see it on the flight to Hong Kong but now I realised it. And it's good that I did because I decided to watch it and it was seriously very good! I had never heard of that film before but I guess it's in cinemas in Finland now. It's called something like Rare Exports: the Christmas Tale. Or something like that. And it was quite horrible and scary too, which is quite surprising of a Finnish film...
But I can't believe I'm so far away from Europe and Finland now, it feels crazy... I didn't sleep at all again, even though it was a night flight. So that same familiar too-tired-feeling has been here again today...
But at least I got to Sydney and it's great to be here. I had a Kilroy voucher to get a free ride from the airport to my hotel so it was very easy to get here. This hostel is great, it's called Wake Up! hostel Sydney and it couldn't be much better for its price. This place is full of backpackers and there is a huge lounge with many computers, a big kitchen where you can cook, a relaxing area and bar and other things.
I haven't done much today because I've been so tired but I went to walk around a little bit and Sydney looks very easy-going and nice city. I cant really say much yet because I haven't seen much, but I think I'll like Australian lifestyle wherever I go here. I've heard so many good things about easygoing and nice Australian people. And it's so warm here! My summer began yesterday when it was the first sunny day in Hong Kong. And it was very hot at midday before it got cloudy again.
I've also talked to some people here and what a surprise; I found Finnish people very soon after I had arrived here! Three of them are girls who came to Australia on a working holiday together and later I saw two Finnish girls who are travelling around the world. They've been to quite many countries since October and are still going to some places. It sounded great when they told me some things about their travels.
It seems easy enough to find a job in Australia because there seems to be jobs everywhere, at least there are many job adverts in the hostel lounge. But I don't know how easy it's going to be when I start looking for a job so I can't be too sure about that yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment