Friday 11 November 2011

First destination: Hong Kong

My adventure finally started on Wednesday morning when my flight to Amsterdam left at 8:15, which means I didn't sleep at all at night because I travelled to Helsinki airport all night.
In Amsterdam I had to wait for about 3 hours and then it was time to fly to Hong Kong. I thought that the flight would be painful because it took about 11,5 hours to fly to Hong Kong, but to my surprise it wasn't very bad at all. Of course it's a long time to sit on the plane but luckily there were quite many things to do. Everyone had a small tv screen and there was a huge selection of different films and tv series to watch and a lot of music to listen to and the food also was great! We had a nice meal with a starter, main food and dessert, snacks and drinks all the time and in the morning a big breakfast which was delicious. So as long as there's a lot of food to eat I don't get bored.....

I also thought I'd be able to sleep on the plane because I was very tired but I should know that I can never sleep when I'm travelling. So I felt absolutely dead after the flight. At least I watched a good film on the plane, it was  Bad Teacher.
When I arrived in Hong Kong I was so tired that I could've gone to bed straight away, but I had to get away from the airport which was very easy though. I think Hong Kong airport was very simple and it was very easy to find the right the bus that took me near the place where my hostel is. So everything went great. I don't know why some people get so stressed about travelling and worry so much about how they survive at the airports etc. I think everything is quite simple in the end... And if you don't understand something, you can always open your mouth and ask other people because there is always somebody who can solve your problem.

But anyway, it took a little while before I found my hostel because I didn't know what way to go. I asked some people but I noticed that most of the Chinese people here don't speak English or they speak it very bad, and if they're trying to talk to me in some Chinese-English-mixed-language I just give up. But the people who I asked where this street is just said "I don't know". Maybe they actually knew but didn't want to explain...
Then I finally found this place and still had to wait for 2 hours because the room wasn't ready. I was so tired that I couldn't even go out so I just stayed at the lounge. Thank god there's free WiFi in the whole house.
When I got the keys to the room, it still wasn't ready, the whole room was one big mess and I got a bit annoyed.
Today I went to Victoria Peak, it's the highest place in Hong Kong and you can see the whole city from the sky terrace. There is an old tram that takes people up the hill and the tickets weren't very expensive. Nothing is really expensive here and it's good because I don't want to spend too much money before Australia. I also have to avoid shops that sell clothes or bags or something like that because I can't buy anything... I have a lot of stuff with me anyway so I can't go shopping. Unfortunately.

When I was at Victoria Peak place today and I was sitting on a bench outside the building, suddenly some Chinese woman came next to me very close and then I saw that a man who was with her took a picture of us! The woman didn't even ask if she can have a picture taken of me and her, she just came and smiled at the camera next to me. I wonder what celebrity she thought I was... Or maybe Finnish people just look so cool that they want to have a picture of us.


The Hong Kong metro was maybe the cleanest and simpliest subway system I've seen, it was very easy and the tickets seemed cheap as well.
It's so busy here in the evenings, the streets are absolutely full of people and everyone is pushing each other, and I've noticed that Chinese people are not very polite and they don't talk much to tourists. I must say that Finnish people are like that too so I can't really complain....

It's very warm here but it has been cloudy all the time. I haven't seen any sun at all.
Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm going to fly to Australia, yayyy! I still have the whole day in Hong Kong because my flight leaves in the evening. It's "only" 9 hours flight so it's not too bad... Hopefully they serve good food again, then everything's fine. 

1 comment:

  1. Niin kivaa että oot kirjottanu tänne :) Mä ajattelin, että toi 11,5 h lento vois olla aika puuduttava, mutta kun luin ton sun tekstin siitä, niin sehän kuulosti ihan vaan mukavalta..leffaa ja ruokaa, kai tolla yhdistelmällä tosiaan pärjää ton tuntimäärän aivan helposti! :D
    Saitko tota sun hostellihuonetta sitten koskaan puhtaana käyttöön vai jäikö se vaan sit siihen kuntoon missä se oli kun sinne menit?
    Aika hassuu toi kuvanottojuttu..varmaan tosiaan siinä vaihees vähän miettii et miks se mun kanssa kuvan halusi.. noh mutta, kaipa siihen oli joku hyvä syy ;]

    ReplyDelete